Serve it to me tossed with pasta or as a spread… Or just give me a spoon and a tub of it plain. Is there anything not to love about pesto?
With a busy schedule, it’s hard for me to find ways to make delicious food with wholesome ingredients on a regular basis. That’s likely part of the reason pesto could be its own food group in my diet.
Why do I love this heavenly recipe so much? Easy. It’s a great way to incorporate fresh basil into a ton of meals. Making one batch takes only 5 minutes, and makes enough to use for a few days and freeze for future use. (I like to freeze the leftovers in ice cube trays for easy-thaw, individual serving sizes.)
Although it’s fairly easy to grow indoors during the winter, basil thrives in the summer sun. Whether you have a green thumb and your own herb garden, or pick up basil from the local farmer’s market like I do, there’s no reason to miss out on the summer’s best herb.
With so many flavors, this recipe is not only easy, but also incredibly versatile. So, why not give it a try? My five favorite ways to use pesto are below, but here’s a list of 50 more ideas to try out.
Ingredients Basil Pecorino Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 3-4 cloves of garlic (depending on your tastes)
- ½ - 2/3 cup olive oil
- ½ cup finely grated pecorino cheese
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts (or sub in chopped walnuts or sunflower seeds if you prefer)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Blend the basil, olive oil, garlic, walnuts and pine nuts in a food processor or high-speed blender.
- Fold in the cheese.
5 Best Ways to Use Pesto
- My personal favorite. Spread it on the inside bread when making a grilled cheese. Trust me, you won’t regret it (and you also won’t ever eat a grilled cheese without it again.)
- Use it as a replacement for condiments. Spread it on a wrap or on a burger instead of mayo, ketchup or mustard.
- Pesto Salad Dressing
- Make a delectable dressing for quinoa, pasta or green salads by mixing together 2 parts pesto, 1 part balsamic vinegar and 1 part olive oil.
- Fancy Pants Prosciutto Chicken (courtesy of Chrissy Teigen’s instagram)
- Spread it on chicken breasts; wrap it in prosciutto and bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Sautéed Pesto Turkey and Vegetables
- Cook 4 oz. 98% fat free ground turkey in a pan with olive oil. Once cooked, add in vegetables of your choice and 1-2 frozen pesto cubes. Sauté and cover until vegetables are soft. Serve over a bed of quinoa and drizzle with balsamic.
Check out these other great posts too:
- Thai Curry Shrimp – The Best Summer Recipe
- Paloma - The Best Summer Cocktail
- Oxtail Osso Buco - Juil Team Recipe