I am not a morning person. Over the past few years, I have become very attached to my snooze button as I try to savor those last few minutes of sleep. Even after finally crawling out of bed, I’ve found it difficult to feel truly awake and ready to start the day. With early mornings, it can be easy to rely on quick energy sources, such as coffee or the occasional energy drink, to give you the boost you need. However, all that coffee tends to leave one with a shake-y feeling, and energy drinks are usually loaded with sugar and other things that aren’t necessarily the best for your body. Luckily, there are plenty of other good ways to get yourself up and going in the morning. Here are a few natural ways to help you feel more energized at the start of your day:
1. Wake up to daylight – Daylight is Mother Nature’s alarm clock. Light helps tell our internal clocks it’s time to start the day. Try sleeping with your blinds or curtains open to let the morning sunshine in. You’ll probably still need an alarm clock to actually wake you up, but it’s a bit more difficult to fall back to sleep with light streaming in through your window. If you get up before the sun does, you can try setting a light in your room to a timer to act as some morning light.
2. Do a few morning stretches – Stretching is a quick and simple way to get your body up and moving in the morning. After you have rolled out of bed, try doing a few simple toe touches. Or, better yet, perhaps a little yoga. You’ll get your body moving and blood flowing.
3. Eat a protein-packed breakfast – Now that you’ve woken up your body with those stretches, it’s important to get your brain going too. Eating a protein rich breakfast will help your brain cells function properly. That way your brain will be in peak condition to take on the day.
4. Eat something with a bit of coconut oil in it – Coconut oil is known to be a fast-acting energy source, and your body can use this energy more quickly than the energy found in coffee. Doing a bit of oil pulling with coconut oil in the morning can be a great source of energy. If oil pulling isn’t your thing, just try for a snack that contains some coconut oil.
5. Make sure you’re hydrated – Water is necessary to keep both your mind and body at their best. Also, being dehydrated can leave you feeling drowsy. Making sure you’re hydrated in the morning is one of the best ways to gain a little extra energy. Try drinking a glass of water after you wake up in order to give you a little hydration boost.
These tips may seem simple, but hopefully they will help prepare you to take on the day. A little extra morning energy can go a long way.
Check out these great posts as well: