Happy Monday! Happy March! Happy Meatless March for me! This is my third year of going straight vegan or modified vegetarian for the month of March. You can read how this one month of being vegetarian has changed my eating habits and health here.
I always look forward to the month of March for a few reasons: weather is starting to get warmer, the sun is staying up longer, and that it gives me a month to reconsider all of the food I put into my body. Warmer weather leads to days (or months if this cold weather here decides to stick around) closer to planting my garden, weekly trips to the farmers market, and of course swim suits.
Are you feeling tired, restless, bloated, sick, struggling with indigestion, etc.? You may want to look at what you are eating and completely rethink what you put in your body. This month is when I really look at food for its nutritional value and how it reacts with my body in regards to mood, digestion, and giving me the proper vitamins.
My main objectives for March are:
- Eat whole foods: these are foods straight from the farm including whole fruits and vegetables, whole grains, grass-fed and free-range meats, nuts, and seeds.
- Avoid any and all processed foods: this should be a goal for every day of the year yet I’m really mindful of this during March.
- Eliminate refined sugar: these are nothing but calories and lead to more health problems.
- Eating 5 to 6 small meals a day: It’s amazing how the metabolism speeds up by having several smaller, more filling meals a day (instead of a few large ones). Eating this way actually makes you shed some weight and feel energized.
- Cook your own meals: I spend Sunday afternoon and evening preparing food for work for the rest of the week. I try to make as many meals myself each week but in March it’s all straight from my kitchen. Not only are you saving money on not going out to eat but you also know exactly what you put in there.
- Juicing: I just got a Nutribullet and can’t explain how ecstatic I am about it making smoothies and juices. I LOVE putting Kale in there with some almond milk, bananas, and other whole fruits and see it liquify!
If your New Year’s resolution has already fallen by the wayside, pick up some clean eating habits. Start week by week and you will notice a change in your body and mood. Get out there and eat clean!
Post by Peter Coulter